Subscription Options

November 30, 2008

Leaders create leaders

You will have to forgive me a bit of a  self indulgent post, I rarely do it and I am feeling quite proud right now.

I have been leading in one for or another every day of my life since I was a teenager. I have always been fascinated by the concept that a follower does what every one else does and a leader does something else.

So I generally plough my own furrow. Do what I think is the wise thing to do, and I generally stand out as somebody doing something different. And not by accident I might add.

And people tended to follow me. Not always in the right direction, not always to a successful short term conclusion, but they have followed.

I have been fortunate enough to have created many leaders in my life, and I hope to help empower many more over the next few years.

I just completed a very large consulting engagement where I trained around about 400 people to a very high level in an engineering discipline. Each course was three weeks long. (So you can imagine the year I have had!)

And many of them have gone on to build the next steps in their career from this point. Some have been promoted, some have changed jobs and companies, two of them were even able to change their countries.

In the blog and the Street Smart Consulting Series I get regularly emails from people telling me how they were able to use the practices to change the course of their careers and lives.

There is nothing more satisfying than making a difference - I sincerely recommend it.