Subscription Options

January 13, 2010

Okay, so I practice discrimination when I hire...

I am not sure if it is ethical, or even illegal - but I do discriminate when hiring people.

I will look at a practitioner in any field before I will look at a manager. Why? Managers, the people who order the work, are actually a dime a dozen.

They are everywhere, and in case you haven't realized it from your own boss, you do not have to be a technical expert o order the work to be done.

My Dad once said, "There are two kinds of people in this world Son. Those who do the work and those who take credit for it. Try to do the work because there is less competition"

Like every other note of sarcasm there is more than a hint of truth in this.

Ex-managers often cannot DO the work.

Another group I outright refuse to hire are ex-Directors or VP's of client companies.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and respect their achievements, but they find it hard to transition.

One day they are sitting in a big office looking out over a sea of nodding heads, and seeing people entering their office bowing and scraping.

The next day they are the people walking in the door trying to curry favor... it just doesn't work.

be the intellectual, the doer, and the person who makes great changes happen. There is far too much competition in trying to order it and take credit for it.

If you enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to this feed, or you can subscribe to Consulting Pulse by email.