Subscription Options

January 21, 2010

Defensive Career Moves

I seem to be at an age where I find myself often speaking with my teenagers as they get ready to take on the world after their final years of High School.

And I am hearing some pretty disturbing advice that their well meaning parents are giving them...

The first is that they should do this or that "to have something to fall back on". What a horrible notion that is.

Nothing against electricians, I am just not one. At all. And I never was.

We are effectively training our kids to spend their lives preparing for Plan A to go wrong. And if it does, then they can settle down into Plan B and live out the rest of their failed lives.

Instead of planning for your eventual failure, get it into your head that you really want to fail!! Your okay with trying and blowing it.

Played Golf? Got it on the first round? No, anything worth doing is worth doing badly - so you can learn how to do it well.

Imagine leaving school and jumping straight into whatever it is that really drives you? Something you want to do, not something you feel that you have to do in case the other thing doesn't work out.

In todays world you can change what you do pretty easily. I have done it several times, and I plan to do it again in the very near future.

Don't waste any more time thinking about something to fall back on. Instead, start thinking of what is really worth lurching forward for...and go for it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to this feed, or you can subscribe to Consulting Pulse by email.