Subscription Options

October 8, 2008

Can you believe that...?

Today I find it hard to believe that we could only have remote conversations via large plastic objects that were attached to a wall somewhere. ("Where am I, I'm at home of course, where else would I be if I'm on the phone!")

Similarly I find it hard to believe that once upon a time we used to get bent out of shape over kids using calculators at school.

It makes me wonder about the things that are changing now, the trends and transformations that we are going to find hard to believe in two or three years time.

Can you believe...
  • People used to get their news from papers they bought in the street. And then they threw it away!
  • There was once a time when we didn't have all the worlds knowledge available at our fingertips.
  • We were once dependent on the Middle East for most our energy needs. (Maybe...)
  • We used to keep all our movies and DVD's in an ever growing pile next to our television. Now we download everything. 
  • There was a time when people used to only be able to watch TV on a fixed schedule, instead of whenever they liked.
  • You used to have to physically search for bargains when shopping.
  • Movies used to last at least an hour and a half and there was no 5 minute movie industry!
  • Advertising used to be based on interrupting people continually until they gave up and made a purchase.
  • Companies used to purchase software for managing their enterprise that was unique to a specific vendor, not easily able to integrate with popular and cost effective technologies. And they had to have it installed on their data assets at their company!
  • We used to travel regularly, without consideration of the environment, to deliver speeches, have meetings and do deals. (In the days before cost efficient Holograms)
  • We used to pay to make telephone calls to other people on the planet. Sometimes a lot!
  • There was once a time when we used to have to carry laptops around with us? (Check out CityWall )
And although my light saber seems to be a long way off, I am fascinated by the idea that one day soon I could have my own jetpack !!