Subscription Options

July 12, 2008

How to dilute your brand

I'm pretty sure that Hilton Hotels used to be a standard bearer for quality. In fact, I'm positive of it. But over the past 15 years (as I see it) that quality seems to have deteriorated substantially.

When I book into a Hilton today I am not sure if I am going to get quality like the Heathrow Airport Hilton, or quality like the roach motel myself and my family checked out of this weekend in a place called Al Ain in the UAE.

In fact, in the past 5 years almost every time I stayed in a Hilton Hotel I have been disappointed. Bitterly disappointed.

There are two things going on there that I can see. 1) The Hilton brand is being applied to all sorts of hotels, not just the classic 5-star flag bearer, but any 3-star flea motel. 2) Hilton actually don't own many of their hotels any more. They sold a lot of them and their model for the future is to continue to do the same. Their "new" business is in franchising their withering brand name to hotel owners.

I will never stay in a Hilton again as long as I have anything to say about it.

In contrast, I have also regularly stayed at the Sheraton in Mexico, London, Abu Dhabi and various European capitals. Always a wonderful experience, consistent quality expectations while changing the style and feel of each hotel. I recommend Sheraton to everyone, at any time, for anything. (Business or family)

This post is bought to you by