Subscription Options

January 25, 2009

The Longevity of Trust

I have always been a big fan of networks and networking. I think this is one of the most underutilized concepts in marketing. I have been nurturing a network of contacts since I was about 20 years old.

And today I need them.

I recently returned to Australia where I am heading up the consultancy arm of a major international services company.

The vast majority of people I am working for, partnering with, or hiring are people from this network. Friends, connections and relationships spanning almost a quarter of a century.

You never really know how long some people are going to be bouncing around the professional scene - and you never know where they (or you) are going to end up.

Relationships built on trust, trust in your character and in your abilities, are enduring. They endure career changes, moving between countries, employers and professions.

Loyalty is horizontal not vertical, and during my career it always has been. And it lasts as long as you, and they, are still in the great game of business.