Subscription Options

June 25, 2008

Consulting in new technologies

I must spend too much time at work. Often I raise my head and there have been dramatic changes in technology around the world. I totally missed when DVD's became popular, and I almost missed the whole iPod revolution also!

Recently I have been spending a lot of time studying GPS Tracking and trying to work out some of the multitude of applications it could have.

In my own consulting area of engineering there are a lot of applications for this in tracking haul and loading units, locating assets of utility firms, and possibly even tracking of personnel as they go about their daily work. (Although the last one is a big questionable I suppose)

For me, a use would be for tracking consultants. That's right, tracking the consultants themselves. Maybe I have a bit of a different view of things but I have worked in some pretty frightening parts of the world.

It would have been great to have known that at least somebody knew exactly where I was.

Also, when I worked in the UK I spent a heck of a lot of time on the road. It probably would have been good if my wife could have known where I was so she got an idea of how long it was going to take me to get home etcetera. (Hard life for partners when we travel so much)

As I work in an area where companies do have assets and often employees traveling out into far flung regions, I can definitely see some examples of how I could tie this into my own consulting. But what about some of the areas that you all work in?